Thursday, August 30, 2007

Something new in Crohn's research!

Holy shit. Do you think this means they might find a way to cure me finally? I fucking hope so. I'm sick of this disease and all that it entails. I'm sick of the cramps, and the migraines, and the soreness, and the tiredness, and the joint pain, and the diarrhea, and the food intolerance. I just want to be normal again one day. That's it.

Novel Intestinal E. Coli Linked to Crohn's Disease

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Aug 21 -- A selective increase in a novel type of invasive Escherichia coli relative to depletion of Clostridial species appears to be involved in the etiology of Crohn's disease, according to a report in the July 12th issue of the ISME Journal: Multidisciplinary Journal of Microbial Ecology.

In the study, Dr. Kenneth W. Simpson, from Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, and colleagues used DNA analysis to compare the ileal microbial flora of patients with ileum-involved or colon-only Crohn's disease and of healthy subjects.

Compared with the other groups, the ileum-involved Crohn's group showed an increase in E. coli species and decrease in Clostridiales. Moreover, the severity of the ileitis was directly related to the number of E. coli present. Lastly, only invasive species of E. coli were found in inflamed mucosa.

Further analysis showed that the invasive E. coli exhibited novel phylogeny with characteristics similar to that of extraintestinal pathogenic E. coli and Enterobacteriaceae.

"Our findings raise the possibility that a novel group of E. coli contains opportunistic pathogens that may be causally related to chronic intestinal inflammation in susceptible individuals," Dr. Simpson said in a statement. "They suggest that an integrated approach that considers an individual's mucosa-associated flora in addition to disease phenotype and genotype may improve outcome."

Date Posted: August 22, 2007

4 comments:

  1. "an integrated approach that considers an individual's mucosa-The invasive E. coli exhibited novel phylogeny with characteristics similar to that of extraintestinal pathogenic E. coli and Enterobacteriaceae and
    associated flora in addition to disease phenotype and genotype may improve outcome"

    I know you are but what am I?

    I hope that whatever-the-hell-he-said works too. More importantly I hope that the applications of this research is made available in time for you to benefit from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Selective anti biotic, or increase pro biotic may be the answer and trying to restore a balance so the irritation and as a systmeic ulceration is reduced or god willing stopped.

    That is great news, this shows a potential for a sensible and managable solution to what is a horrible and disabilitating disease. WIthout the harsh drugs that make your hair fall out... (forgot the compound)

    Positive news indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! This actually gives me hope! I'm just glad one of the Bush crime family (Marvin) actually HAS Crohn's, so they are not likely to end the funding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very positive news, shell-A! I can't wait to see the follow-up research on this and hope the resulting changes in treatment will benefit you and others with this condition.

    ReplyDelete

You may choose to comment but if you're an asshole then I may choose to delete it.