Saturday, May 21, 2005

me, gaming, and d100...as in, huh?

Music selection: Garden State soundtrack
Mood: Kinda tired, not in the mood to work today

Bill's roommate runs a Runequest (sorta) group, and I was invited to join them on Thursday nights. For a long time they had been playing on Tuesdays, but that conflicted with Drinking Liberally, so that was no good. Finally things got changed, and now I can play. Kori runs the group and there are probably about 6 people total. I'm embarrassed to say that I still don't know people's names even after months of Geek Lunch, but I guess as long as I get the characters right I won't be in bad shape.
I went over to observe one night a couple of weeks ago, and to also get a feel for the game. I wasn't able to figure out much since hardly anyone came, but I did meet some of the people who don't normally come to Lunch. I was trying to make a character based on d100 Runequest, and I just ended up confused. Man, hand me a D&D players handbook and some sheets and I can have an awesome character set up and playable in no time. This d100 is really different though.
My character is (for Raymond Feist fans) sort of like Nakor from the Saga books. She's eastern indian looking, small, brown, and nothing really stands out about her. She's in a religious cult dedicated to playing pranks which embarrass people publicly to bring them down a notch or two, but not harm them physically. She has rogue skills basically- but with being in the cult to Sarahabra she will gain points and get magical spells like "Embarrass" and there's another that invokes Murphy's Law, which I can only imagine would be totally hilarious and help make great diversions in a fight. Sarojini (Saro) also is a covert operative for her cult leader, getting information from all parts of the land.
I was almost dismayed at the level of detail Kori gave me for my character's background, but that's from an experienced gamer's view. I can definitely appreciate the effort and see how it would totally help a gamer who isn't really used to coming up with background, and who might be new to all of the character creation minutia. I discovered though, by talking with Kori, that she's totally open to whatever direction I want to go with Saro. I was worried that as DM she might want to run the threads as well. I'm happy to see that's not the case, and I am very optimistic about all the opportunities I've got with this character! It's an open page, pretty much...exciting! The snag comes in with the numbers end of things. I have no idea about base scores in d100. I'll have to get that worked out before next session.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may choose to comment but if you're an asshole then I may choose to delete it.