Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Bad Grammar in Song Lyrics

There are a few songs that just bug my ass and they are popular and overplayed on top of it. The issue for me is that people SING ALONG and learn to speak by doing so. If people are learning to speak by listening to bad grammar then the music industry is responsible for a lot, my friends.

Latest case in point: Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars.

If I lay here...if I just lay here...would you lie with me... blah blah - wtf??

He didn't figure out that it's LIE until the third time? That song annoys the fuck out of me.

It bothers me a lot more when it's a popular song that millions of people sing along with. Yes, I ended that sentence with a preposition. Annoying isn't it???

Big example that has bothered me forever: BoDeans-Good Things.

No no no, don't pass me over, no no no, don't pass me by. I can see I can see good things for you and I... Arrrrrggghh!!

What is so painful is that they have a live version of this song and thousands of people in the audience are singing along, singing along...as if it's correct and they don't notice a thing. It's ME, people. ME. Object, Subject. Learn, Discuss! And stop playing that fucking BoDeans song!

This is nonsense up with which I will not put. Ha!

9 comments:

  1. I end fell down at the. Ow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, and I thought I was a grammar Nazi...you must really hate E.E. Cummings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe - Rimshot - don't you mean, e.e. Cummings? I think he had an aversion to anything related to spelling, punctuation, capitalization, or grammar.
    It's up to a poet to use certain things as stylistic functions. Such as "I Can't Get No Satisfaction," by the Stones - it just worked. It's more the way people sing along to this crap when it deals with I/Me, lay/lie, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could any kind person lie some ganja on I and I?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ..and rightly so although not many bands adhere to BBC Proper English these days.

    There are thousands of annoying songs I wouldn't know where to even begin...No I dare not even speak it's name...can't stop...must save others...
    Do That To Me One More Time!

    Aarrrrrrrrgh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Homey do you mean the Captain and Tenneille song, or the Britney Spears crap song? Cause I'm tellin ya I LOVE the Captain and Tennielle almost as much as I love the Carpenters, and I have done that song in karaoke twice. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One that used to really bug me was "Would I Lie To You?":

    Would I lie to you baby, yeah - ie, he answered his own question and the answer is yeah.
    And then he'd sing, "look into my eyes, can't you see they're open wide" but in the film clip he sang this with his eyes closed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "She says her love for me would never die...
    That'd change if she ever found out about you and I..."

    aaaagh!!! Right there with you!

    ReplyDelete

You may choose to comment but if you're an asshole then I may choose to delete it.