Monday, April 02, 2007

#404 Not a mystery anymore.

Yep, this is my 404th post. I don't know if that counts the hookup post that I deleted, hm.

So I'm kind of upset about cat food. I got a call from my vet's office to tell me the cat food I've been giving my pets has been poisoned. Five months ago my cat died from what the vet said was poisoning of some sort. We couldn't figure it out. I'd had him eight years and never got into stuff or ate plants. We had to put him down because his kidneys were irreparably damaged. Now, the vet's office says that the poisoned batch was at the beginning of 2007, but Mojo died at the end of September, only scant weeks after giving him the new prescription stuff. I think they're wrong. If it looks like a duck, etc.

My other cat became deathly ill in early January and is still recovering. He has yet to gain back the weight he lost. The vet bills for both cats equal almost $3000. Thank goodness my boyfriend has a credit card, or I don't know if Xerox would have made it through, because I sure don't have a "cat fund" sitting around in my bank account.

I think that someone has to answer for this! It's not a mistake to put fucking RAT POISON in cat food! Mojo was the most adorable and sweet-natured love slut you'd ever meet. He didn't deserve to die like that. He was so weak all he did was purr in our arms as he got the lethal shot. Xerox went through Hell to survive his illness, which included ten days of subcutaneous fluids, two antibiotics, and pain and suffering. The vet never was able to diagnose him, either, even after three days in the hospital.

I just keep going over the conversation with the vet where he said Mojo had been poisoned and the damage to his kidneys was done over time. I always thought it had something to do with the changing of the food, but never that it was because some bastard (deliberately or not, I don't care, Mojo is still dead) put rat poison in the PRESCRIPTION cat food!

I don't know what I'm going to do. I have to call the vet tomorrow so they can report it to the FDA. I sent in my information for the class-action lawsuit as well. I believe the companies are going to reimburse for vet bills and I'd like to see that off the credit card if possible. I really want to blame someone for Mojo dying, but that won't make me feel any better. There's no winning situation here.

(UPDATE: I phoned the vet who hooked me into the pet food company's consumer line and they were very concerned that I get rid of any remaining food, and got my information so they can contact me later. The woman apologized about ten times during the conversation and I thought she sounded like she was crying. Maybe it was just me who was crying, I don't know. )

7 comments:

  1. Back in 1995 when I was living in the country with my parents... people used to put out poisoned bait for rabbits. All the locals knew to inform everybody around if they were doing this, so the neighbours could keep their dogs and cats safe from the bait. But one time somebody didn't inform us. Both my dogs ate a poisoned rabbit, or poisoned bait, and both of them died horrifically that night. One of them was lost forever in the bush, but one of them I had to watch dying, confused and scared (both the dog and myself), with no idea what had happened until much later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever did this is either a dumb f*ck asshole kid who works in the factory or a bona fide sociopathic nutjob...or a combo of both.

    Either way he will never get what he deserves, which is to be poisoned and experience a prolonged excruciating painful slow death..
    then resuscitated and repoisoned.
    I would volunteer...

    instead he'll get
    'the psychiatric help that he needs to become a productive member of society'....
    screw that hand me the poison I'll do it for free.
    Jeffrey Dahlmer started out killing cats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stace: I'm so sorry to hear about that shit. How awful! It makes me hate the country bumpkins more than I already do. Who the hell poisons animals?? So a rabbit eats gardens, so put up a FENCE! Poisoning animals...my god that's disgusting.

    -------------------------------------

    Homey: They say that the poisoned wheat gluten came from a factory in China. Nobody seems to have any answers as to why they were poisoning wheat gluten in the first place. Maybe it was supposed to fight a rat problem, as my bf proposed yesterday. I don't know, but jesus fucking christ why did they sell it to American pet food companies?? It's supposed to have been "food grade" wheat gluten, so it may be in the human food supply by now.
    I just continue to be so grateful that Xerox is still alive, even though we lost our poor Mojo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chinese fertilizer killed Evangelist Aimee Semple McPherson's hubby within two months while on their missionary trip..apparently the Chinese were using human waste to fertilize the crops and Mr. McPherson died of Dysentary...imagine.
    The Pet Food industry despite being worth Billions is almost unregulated in the USA...that should finally change.
    Assholes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like animals more than people... that is horrible about the food, is the company going to put their hand in their pocket for the 3g.... i think you would have a pretty good case.

    Why Xerox?

    ReplyDelete
  6. HE: I hope this is the kick in ass the companies need so we get a little oversight.

    --------------------------------------

    Aidan: I hope you're right about the company ponying up (so to speak).

    Xerox was named because he copied everything the other cats did when he was a kitten back in 1990. He was rescued from a kitten mill and didn't have any personality of his own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have six cats and I love them all dearly. I can't imagine what I would do if this happened to them.

    I am so sorry that you lost your baby.

    ReplyDelete

You may choose to comment but if you're an asshole then I may choose to delete it.