Thursday, July 10, 2008

Dammit.

So my dad's been diagnosed with a really shitty condition known as Myelodysplasia, which of course means he has to get a bone marrow transplant + chemo, and over 50% of cases like his (RAEB 2) turn into leukemia. There is a longevity range of 10 mos - 2 years for the majority of cases, according to different sources I found.

Double Fuck.

I want to donate my white blood cells if I can to help with the transplant, and be there to care for him through the treatments, which may kill him outright if some of these sites are to be believed. I'd rather not believe them. My supervisor came over and said there might be a possibility of a short-term transfer to a facility out there in California so that I can be nearby. I'm sure Dad would love having me around watching him puke and lose his hair and possibly die. Well, too bloody bad for him. I feel like I need to be around. I've never been around enough.

3 comments:

  1. ooh thats harsh =S

    if you need to talk about it i'm about usually!

    I know what you must be going through at the moment hopefully all goes well with your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh f*ck! That is terrible. Sometimes I hate this world...why can't we all just fall asleep in our 90s?

    I lost my Dad in my 20s and his sudden death had a huge effect on my life. For years I wasted so much time worrying about dying young that I forgot to stop and smell the flowers...not anymore..I look at them, smell them, water them, every day.

    I'm sure that he'd love having you by his side..it would be very comforting for him.
    HUGE HUG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Asim, Donn - I'm doing all right, more worried about how my dad is doing.

    His doctor wants him to start chemo, I'm not sure how soon, but I'll probably go down soon if that's the case. My job won't let me work down there unless I'm an RN so that's out, but I have the support of my bosses and they understand that I will need to go.

    Thanks again. =)

    ReplyDelete

You may choose to comment but if you're an asshole then I may choose to delete it.