X-mas trees were taken from pagan solstice ceremonies when the "holy mother church" was trying to convert "savages" to their religion, and therefore add to their coffers from tithing. I look at the way so-called x-tians have co-opted the tree thing and it makes me laugh at their expense.
I don't know if trees have spirits but damn, I can't do anything without wrecking someone's day, it seems. The clothes I wear mean that people in sweatshops suffered, the certified organic coffee means smaller fair trade coffee farmers are being pushed out of business, if I buy certified fair trade then I'm hurting the ones who can't afford to say they are fair trade, everything from animals means I've killed them through paying for the items, organic, free-range or no, they're still dead, even the non-animal items means I'm helping deplete the earth of oil that went towards the plastic, the wool I use is ok, but if I buy acrylic I'm again depleting oil reserves, when I drive my car I'm polluting the earth, when I take the bus I'm still polluting the earth. Nothing I do is safe. I can spend horrible amounts of time contemplating the fact that I and other humans are nothing but a blight on the earth and we should all kill ourselves.
Happy fucking birthday to me.
Is it really your BDay? Mine was on the 6th.
ReplyDeleteI know that at times it seems self evident that we are the absolute worst thing to have ever evolved on this planet...because we are.
However, not all of us are callous enough to keep poisoning the next generation with bullshit about how the Earth and all of it's contents was created explicitly for our pillaging.
We do what we can and keep swinging the bat. Personally I have great faith in Mother Nature and have no doubt that when her tolerance is finally exhausted that a quick tweaking of some virus (her first real love) will make short work of us.
I watched a program called Life After Humans or something, and it was remarkable how quickly the flora and the other multicellular creatures would bounce back.
We are overdue for another Extinction Level Event and Gaia has tried out a few Rulers down here so I suspect that we shouldn't worry about the If just the When.
Happy Birthday.
and as my Mom always likes to say..
"Have a Drink Be Somebody!"
Thanks Donn! And happy belated birthday to you!! =)
ReplyDeleteAll I can say is - I'm glad I have a good therapist. This world is going to shit. I like the way your mom thinks!!