When NARAL asked me to volunteer again...This was my response.
I'm sorry, but because of the actions of Nancy Keenan and NARAL's continued support of anti-choice legislators and policies I won't be able to volunteer any more time. I recognize that you and Kelda do great work locally, especially with regard to EC. I wish your efforts weren't being undermined on such a large scale by the organization to which you have pledged yourselves.
I can't support an organization so deeply flawed and that hurts all of us by bowing down to anti-women politicians like Rape Gurney Joe Leiberman and Lincoln Chafee, who voted to support Supreme Court Justice Alito.
Another strong reason is the more recent Fetal Pain bill that devoutly Catholic (and self-proclaimed pro-lifer) Nancy Keenan was at best, neutral about. The actions of NARAL are undermining the rights of women everywhere, while proclaiming something else entirely. It's hard for me to think about that without my stomach turning over.
I will remain strongly pro-choice, and that now means not contributing money or time to NARAL. If things change drastically within the organization I would be more than happy to support its goals once again. Good luck to both you and [the other woman at the center]. It was a pleasure to work with you and I respect you both immensely.
You Go Tidalgrrrl,
ReplyDeletePolitics though it is a game of take and take is all about compromise and opportunity..to be honest I'm always surprised at the calibre of politicians that we North Americans hire...
I mean really would you leave your Pet or Child in the same room with these people?
I admire your tenacity..I confess that although I am Pro Choice I can't understand why or how controlling a person's body ever became a subject for public discussion..talk about Big Brother..
do women have a say about whether an individual man can have a vasectomy?
I have always imagined that reproductive rights were a matter between a woman, her partner or impregnator (if he deserves to be included) and her Doctor but everybody else can go pee up a rope.
I knew a lot of teenage girls and guys who had their lives turned upside down by having to go through this ordeal
..it's heartbreaking all around
what scares me now is that I have become some sort of a reproductive fascist.
I think that we would all be better off keeping everybody infertile by rigging the water system or something ubiquitous and letting people earn the right to have children..see how sick does that sound..Heil Heil!...it may be logical but it sounds monstrous even to me...ugh I sound like an idiot.