Monday, October 17, 2005

intergalactic planetary


Some nights are just great. Last night Bill and I napped, then biked over to his place, picked up the Pussy Wagon (his Volvo) and went down to Montmartre. The music was great, the company was even better, and I again realized how small Madison is.

Everyone I know knows each other, and even people that I knew from other places know each other. Everyone knows everyone! Ok it seems odd that I would be knocked over by this but I've never been in this situation before. My life has been full of strangers and nobody knowing anyone else that I know. It comes from moving around a lot and from living in bigger cities. There's a sense of anonymity that is genuinely missing in this town.

I moved to Madison and went to Borders and work for Steve. Ok, so then I met Dory three years later. Then I met Bill because of Drinking Liberally. Then I met Kevin and Craig because of Drinking Liberally. Then I met Ellie and Kori because of Bill. Then I met Meg because of Dory. Then I met Bob and Stephanie because of Ellie. Then I met Jen because of Meg and the Film Festival. Then I met Sean because of Borders and Steve. Then I met John and Judith because of Dory. Jen is married to Sean, and Steve knows almost everyone. Now I keep meeting everyone over again in different contexts. It is funny though, how everyone is surprised (including me) again and again as we keep meeting like this. It's two degrees of separation for everyone in Madison. Is this luck? Or karma? Or is it just that we are all the same type of folk and gravitate in the same direction?

I feel like I'm in a Jan Karon novel. My genuine thought is that it's got to be art, film, music, and beer that adds the magnetism. Who is the sun?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may choose to comment but if you're an asshole then I may choose to delete it.