Friday, July 01, 2005

oh the horror!!!!!!!!!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, the first woman on the U.S. Supreme Court and a moderate conservative who often cast the decisive vote on abortion and other contentious issues, announced her retirement on Friday, and a political battle immediately began over her successor.

I'm in a tizzy - I've been on the phone with the folks at the NARAL (national abortion rights action league) and they're in a tizzy too. It'll be interesting to be at the farmer's market tomorrow, volunteering. The coordinator is going to meet me and the other volunteer in the lobby of the offices to give us all kinds of new stuff for the public consumption on the Square. It'll be entertaining, at the very least. I've already made my phone calls to our wisconsin members of the Senate Judiciary Committee to URGE them to block any candidates who are anti-choice. What's a few bucks to call DC when it's necessary??

Wisconsin is the only state with two senators on the Judiciary Committee -- if we are going to save the Supreme Court, we must stop President Bush's anti-choice nominees. Senators Kohl and Feingold, while pro-choice, are influential and must hear from constituents to continue filibustering anti-choice nominees. We also need them as leaders, helping to bolster other moderates who might waver.
Here's the number if anyone wants to phone in their concerns:

Senator Feingold's office:

(202) 224-5323
Senator Kohl's office:
(202) 224-5653

Leave your name and address and tell 'em you don't want them to do anything to jeopardize Roe V. Wade...which is the first thing on the chopping block if fucking stupid ass Bush has his way with the nominees!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I called both. I got right through. Usually do.

    I'm sure Sen. Feingold will do the right thing, but for some reason, Kohl always makes me think that he's on the wrong side on most issues. Hopefully he'll be right with choice at least.

    ReplyDelete

You may choose to comment but if you're an asshole then I may choose to delete it.