Monday, July 17, 2006

21st Century Fox

That was great. I had a meeting with our office manager where I outlined my ideas for a streamlined, organized 21st-century office. We met for an hour & 1/2 and had a lot of two-way discussion about my ideas. He really liked my ideas, and is going to present them to the team once he's gone over the logistics. Some of them he liked more than I did, which just goes to show that I don't know everything.
Something odd but nice was that he wanted to shake my hand when we were done. He really liked the fact that I took it upon myself to think outside the box and tried to come up with practical ways to save the company money besides cutting payroll & benefits.
It's no mystery or secret that the human services field is going the way of the dodo, and that big money has no thoughts for the common man or those with disabilities. If we don't change the way we work then we're doomed, because we certainly aren't going to have operational costs handed to us by the taxpayers. In California there already has been a breakdown in the system to care for those with disabilities. I remember seeing ads in the paper for helpers and they could not even offer a living wage. One woman wanted to pay $30/day for complete care, including bathing and dressing. There's just no way I could do it, but on the other hand, who was going to help her? There seems to be no option for those people without wealthy families to support them. I could go on forever about this distressing subject, but then I wouldn't be productive here at work. Bah.

--
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

1 comment:

  1. Up here in Canada we are always baffled by the Lone Ranger approach to Health Care that your country embraces. Education and Medical attention are not luxuries.
    The survival of the fittest (richest) crap is scary. It forces cost cutting and throat cutting to the forefront of day to day living in the US of A.
    Our system is not perfect by any means but geez!

    ReplyDelete

You may choose to comment but if you're an asshole then I may choose to delete it.