Wednesday, October 25, 2006 Loo-nacy
It's official: If you have a penis, you are welcome in any ladies' room in the New York City transit system — as long as you feel like a woman. From NY1:
Transgender people won the right to use the restroom for whatever gender they consider themselves to be at MTA rail stations in an agreement reached by the MTA with a woman who sued the agency.The "woman" who sued the agency is Helena Stone — take a look — a "a pre-operative woman formerly known as Henry McGuinness ... who began hormone replacement therapy 11 years ago," according to AM New York.
Stone sued after cops, reportedly hurling abuse, busted him (sorry, I use the male pronoun when a person has a penis) for using the women's restroom at Grand Central.
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority agreed to pay $2,000 in damages ... As part of the agreement, the MTA will also sponsor a transgender sensitivity training program for employees, said Michael Silverman, an attorney for the Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund. Silverman filed the complaint with the city Commission on Human Rights.While it may be argued that Stone deserved recompense for the way the cops dealt with him, his suit's outcome means that any man may use the ladies room if he personally identifies as a woman — regardless of what his ID card says. (Stone's ID card said he was male.)
AM New York also reports that more suits may be in the offing:
Three transgender women, between the ages of 18 and 22, were arrested at the Port Authority Bus Terminal Oct. 3 and charged with trespassing, said Kate Barnhart, manager of Sylvia's Place, a shelter for gay, bisexual and transgender youth, where the women were clients.Just people who were using the ladies' room to fix their makeup" — people with penises.
According to Barnhart, police officers continually referred to the transgender woman [sic] as men.
"They were saying loudly to onlookers, 'Men in the women's bathroom,' and another one said, 'I wouldn't want my wife in there with you things,' " she said. "These are just people who were using the bathroom to fix their makeup."
Media accounts of Helena Stone paint him as an upstanding citizen who simply wants to do his, uh, civic duty in the ladies' rom. His victory, however, is a victory for perverts, voyeurs, and rapists — and a tremendous loss for all the women who will now be exposed to such creeps and criminals because of the MTA's fear of lawsuits.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You don't want to read the comment section of her blog - but I did and was horrified. This my response to those pseudo Christians.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's the attitudes of people like Dawn who wrote such vitriolic claptrap about transgendered people that lead to their deaths in such high number. It's not rare for people who are pre-op, post-op, whatEVER-op to get killed just for being who they are, or to kill themselves because even the gay community gives them a hard time.
When I hear someone using the wrong pronoun on purpose, I feel so sorry that their parents never taught them any manners.
It's a sad thing when Christians don't act like Christians. I'm sure Jesus wouldn't have been so cruel and deliberately full of hate. They say we hate what we don't understand. Well there must be a lot of misunderstanding on this blog and on these comments.
What it comes down to is that people decide who is "fair game" and apparently that is transgender men and women. I feel SAD for all of you who feel the need to pick on someone just because you feel you can. It's mean and wrong and I hope you wise up and start practicing what you preach which is what Jesus said - "love one another as I have loved you."
Dawn I'm sure you will remove this post but I hope you hear my message anyway - don't use your pulpit to spread hatred. It doesn't become you and you're better than that.
I had no idea that transporting transexuals was such a big deal.
ReplyDeleteI liked the unisex washrooms in Europe..everybody was on their best behavior.
I don't know about transportation - from my understanding all this woman was trying to do was pee.
ReplyDelete"Oh, the Humanity!!"