Friday, March 09, 2007

paranoid much?

This article  is decently written, and has some really good points about how as a species we are disconnecting from people the more technology gets introduced. However, the paranoia the author tries to induce by talking about the glow of television sets is just a bit over the top:

"Travel down any average suburban American street and no longer will you see people outside talking to their neighbors or children playing, these activities having been replaced by the blue glow of the television that can be seen emanating from every window."

Ya. I believe that tv is a time-sucker and a bad one at that, and don't think I've watched any tv for months. Netflix rocks, because I can see any series without being subjected to the commercials or the high cable bill. I know that it's a method for marketers to sell shit to people who want meaning and fill their lives with "stuff" instead of making a better effort. I do the same thing when I'm depressed. I go to the yarn store and feeeeeeel the yarn for an hour, and then I feel better. I don't usually buy much, but the compulsion is there. I do not, however, believe that we're headed to a Matrix-like society and our bodies will waste away as we live an Utopian existence on the screens of our computers. The people who wig out on these theories need to go outside their parents' basement once a year and take a goddamn walk.

4 comments:

  1. You will make an awesome 'battery' some day. Any screen sucking is bad but atleast Blogging is interactive screen sucking!
    I have all but abandoned my 'warm glowing glow of TV that gives so much and asks so little as Homer J says...whatever!
    I'd rather talk to you than my neighbours anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh, that's kinda' true, Tidal Grrl. Swishly spring cleaned new layout. Nice x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have around 3 years without watching TV, with the exception of the Football world cup (small white ball 11 people on the pitch football) ....

    Remove tv from a relationship and it will florish, makes you talk to each other, as well as other things:)

    Its a shame to see the world living through TV screens...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homey: You know, my plan was to be the best goddamn Duracell out there. Oh, the fabulous vibrators I could charge up for wonderful women everywhere! WAhoo!

    Benjamin: Glad you like the new layout! I am still tweaking but we'll see what happens. I wish I were more artistic and html-minded, but alas I'll have to live with physical perfection instead. Ho-hum. ;)

    Aidan: Isn't it amazing what happens when the TV is off? One gains hobbies! I've learned to knit! I found the cure for cancer! I cleaned my cat litter boxes!
    Ok. Out of the last three, only one is true. You get to guess. *snicker* (hint: row 1: K1,P1*; row 2: K round)

    ReplyDelete

You may choose to comment but if you're an asshole then I may choose to delete it.