
So I was thinking for a while that I should learn a new hobby. I just happen to be surrounded by musicians and luthiers like my fantastic friend ellie who lives down the road and built the guitar you see on the right. It plays great! I thought it was a different guitar, but indeed it's the same one she handed me. I guess she built it ten years ago and the bf bought it. It was still sitting around her house so I get to borrow it! Wahoo!
I went online and found a tuner, and because I was told Open D was a good idea, I tuned it to that. I practiced playing the strings with the right fingers (who knew you had to do that?) and it was harder than it first appeared. I guess only the bottom three strings are played with the thumb.

I also practiced some barre chords ---------------------------------->
and learned a little about what makes up a guitar, so I won't feel like an idiot when someone talks about a certain part.
If I can knit, then I can certainly learn to play a Gee-Tar. My fingers were kind of sore last night but today they are working fine, and I practiced some more bar chords this morning. So far I'm having a blast and I can't wait to play my first ABBA song for the boyfriend, ha! ha! Dancing Queen, indeed.
Woohoo! Lovely to see you taking up music, Shell-A! I have a gorgeous acoustic guitar sitting in one of my closets, but I've never mastered it because my fingers bleed when I practice too much and that prevents me from playing my flutes and recorders. I never "suck it up" and deal long enough to toughen up my fingers. It just is too hard to go without being able to play my other instruments while my fingers are sore. Heh...I'm an impatient kat!
ReplyDeleteOn another note....'tis once again summer and Bristol awaits. Interested in meeting up again this year? It was awesome to hang with the Mad-town crew last summer.
Wahoo, Tawn-A-kat! Bill-mon said that one may toughen his or her hands by soaking them in saltwater. I won't be doing that. ;)
ReplyDeleteYes, Yes, YES!! Bristol!!! Email me with the dates, my chiquita and we'll be there!
WOOT!
ReplyDeleteStart off with the basics like Smoke on the Water and then work your way up to Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner!
What will you call your band? Do you want a power chord Chicktar Band like the Donnas...
Fall Behind Me or what was the one on Guitar Hero oh hells yeah..
TAKE IT OFF !!!
"I'm on my second drink
But I've had a few before...
I'm tryin' hard to think
And I think that I want you on the floor
Uh huh, yeah on the floor!
[Chorus]
Go on and take it off
(echo) Take it off!
You gotta shake it off baby, for me
C'mon and break me off
(echo) Break me off!
'Cause I get what I want and I like what I see
Need your love 1,2,3
Stop starin' at my D cup
Don't waste time, just give it to me
C'mon baby, just feel me up
C'mon, just give it up"
WOOT!
"Smoke on the Water"? Dude. I'm holding out for "Cecilia Ann" (Surftones, covered by the Pixies; garage band YouTube here for those who want to hear a fairly low-bandwidth version) ;-)
ReplyDeleteY'all are CRAZY! (lol) I've got the "spanish theme" from the Hal Leonard book down so far - that is E,F,G basically. Otherwise I can't play anything yet!
ReplyDeleteI'm totally going to do Dancing Queen, though. Ha!
ROCK ON, WOMAN!
ReplyDeleteI'll be rooting for you. ;p
I tried to play a few years ago. I have really tiny hands and I had a hard time. I haven't completely given up though, I'll get to it eventually.
ReplyDeleteHave fun!!
Thanks Christine! I'm having fun so far, and my fingers may yet recover. I'm not sure yet. They're numb and swollen. No blisters or bleeding yet. ;)
ReplyDelete