For the love of Christ, how fucking hard can one pair of socks be to make? I have been slowly knitting up the cuff of a sock and tonight during gaming I decided to make the heel flap, turn the heel, make the gusset, and work down the foot. I used pretty simple directions since I haven't really made socks before. Ok, let's back that shit up. I used what SEEMED to be simple directions until I realized that it never really explained how to turn the heel. I was hopped up on Sudafed, Tylenol, and Diet Coke and trying to figure that fucker out. Arrrrrgghhhh!
I ripped it out I don't know how many times. I'm really good at knitting in the round, even on lots of sticks, but hell! It helps to have directions. I'm trying again after I ripped it ALL out, switched to smaller sticks, re-wound the yarn (using my new ball winder, yay!) and different instructions. I'm glad I have some time to work it out because the leg of the sock is in double rib (2 knit, 2 purl for those who don't already know, and a purl is just a backwards knit stitch) and will take a while to finish. I'm still using yarn I bought last year in the Netherlands, even though I bought a TON since. I think this was like 1 euro for 100 grams of wool. Cheapass yarn - I'm all over that.
I think I need pointier needles. These are nice (and PURPLE how cool is that) but they aren't very pointy and I have trouble picking up the stitches. I also keep switching the yarn from left hand to right hand because I can't decide whether I prefer English or Continental style.
I'm never going to finish a fucking sock, let alone TWO matching socks. I should just stick to hats. The one I made for Bill was fundamentally KICK ASS. I can tell this because he wears it daily. Yeah I KNOW it's cold in Wisconsin in the winter. Give a girl some slack, motherfucker!

SOCK IT TO ME
ReplyDeleteSOCK IT TO ME
SOCK IT TO ME
SOCK IT TO ME!
You just wait, Homey...until it's you that gets one of my knitted monstrosities. The year before last for Bill's birthday I decided to make him a scarf in black & tan suede. That sucker put the 20 ft. Dr. Who scarf to shame!! He had to wind it around his neck about 10 times just so he wouldn't trip on it. Ha!
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting and putting me in your list!!