I recall a flight that I took in January of 2000. It had been a rough 1999. My mother had passed away that June, and a few months after that I was diagnosed with the same heart condition that killed her. I was given a large, very visible, ugly red scar on my chest and a pacemaker.
1999 ended, finally, and in January of 2000 I decided I had had enough already, dammit. I was going to join my friends out in Lake Tahoe and learn to ski. I was through being a patient and it was time to get on with being the hot chick who had fun times with good friends.
I went to the airport in Minneapolis to catch my 6am flight. There had been a terrible ice storm the day before, and it was now 25 below zero and the airport was filled with people who'd been delayed. I was in line behind a woman who was loaded down with sweaters, and she looked terribly uncomfortable. She had short, wavy black hair, big silver earrings, lots of lipstick, tons of rings, heavy rimmed eyeglasses, and motorcycle boots. Yeah, I really didn't know what to think, but at least she was interesting!
After a long wait in line, she took off a sweater. As she pulled it over her head she let out an exasperated sigh and said to me: "Pardon me while I strip." I looked at her and replied, "Wait, I think I have some dollar bills." We laughed, and started talking. She was about as unhappy as a person could be. She was attending Hamline Law in St. Paul, and it was so conservative that she was going nuts. We were sitting together in the waiting area for the flight, and she looked at me at one point and said: "I just have to make sure that you know I'm gay." I laughed and said I didn't know if it was the biker boots or giant rainbow gay pride earrings and rainbow gay pride necklace, but I was pretty sure she was gay as soon as I saw her. She laughed and said that yes, that might have been a clue. Pretty good for a lawyer.
This woman was unhappy because she didn't have any gay friends in town. I told her that I wasn't going to be an improvement there because I'm straight. However, I worked in social services so that meant I probably could help her out. It's well known that social services has more than its share of gay folk. I told her that I knew all "teh gay" hotspots in town and would hook her up.
I was worried about becoming friends with her because she seemed really fucking negative. She wanted my email address and I almost hesitated because I just wasn't sure if she was a downer or just having a rough patch.
We got up to board the plane and it ended up that we were headed to Denver instead of San Francisco. We were just too talkative to pay attention to the announcements. Woops! We hurt ourselves laughing over that one, and went back to wait for our real flight.
The flight to San Francisco was pretty empty, and we were able to sit together. She handed out the Darvon and I ordered the screwdrivers. We were sky high before the plane took off, and we partied all the way to California. When we left the plane together we were already best friends.
After our respective trips to California we returned to Minnesota and started hanging out. She did indeed go to "teh gay" bars with me all over town, and dated a couple of my friends. It turns out that she wore glasses because she had been recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and her vision was blurry. About a month after that she started using a cane, because she lost her sense of balance. She had a piano in her snazzed-out downtown apartment that she never played, because she lost the feeling her fingers.
So let me tell you about Trish. She'd been classically trained as a concert pianist. She hated losing the ability to play, and on top of being talented she was a perfectionist. I can't imagine the agony of losing that, and having the piano as a constant reminder of what you can't do.
Trish was a professional student. She'd gone to school forever and had a few different master's degrees as well as the juris doctorate she was working on at Hamline. Smart really doesn't cover Trish. Amazingly brilliant, perhaps. I helped her study for her law degree, and learned more about tortes than I ever wanted to, but it was still a blast doing it.
Trish would sit and smoke these really awful multicolored cigarettes, one after another, while she drank coffee or tea by the gallon, then she'd cook up some fantastic Cuban meal that her Sicilian grandmother Paola, who'd emigrated to Florida, used to make. Trish's paella with yellow saffron rice, filled with big chunks of pork, shrimp and chicken would bring anyone to her knees. The ropa vieja was just as good, and the smells coming from that apartment were out of this world.
We were inseparable until I had the bad grace to move away to Madison. One day I got a call that she had collapsed. I didn't think, but made the arrangements get to Minnesota as quickly as I could. She died before I could leave the house. She was only 34, and my best friend in the world. A few years ago she died this week, and I remember. I remember her.
Hi Shelley, I don;t know you but you visited my blog over here. I just read this post in its entirity and I am sooo moved by it. I have to say, fuck it!!!! I also lost my best friend. Smart didn't cover Frances either, she was fan-fuckin-tabulous!!! She came from Carmel California, was a tertiary educator, smart as a whip and kind to everyone. She was diagnosed with GBM, a multitude of brain tumors that killed her in May 2 years ago this year.
ReplyDeleteI think that you and I met these wonderful people because they had sooo much to offer, and they gave to us feelings of wonderment, of praise, of love and of tolerance.
Frances never complained once, only to say that it was God's way of punishing her for being such a "thinker" all her life. Of course, she never meant it, it was just her sence of humour.
Perhaps our friends are together up there, two perfectionists, one teaching the other something, the other playing her Grand Piano :)
Hi Cazzie, thanks for visiting and reading my rambles.
ReplyDeleteIt's so important that we appreciate the friends we have because we never know how long we'll have them.
I'm so glad you had Frances, and I'm so glad I had Trish. I consider us very lucky people.
One other memory of Trish - actually this used to bug me but now I find it hilarious - When someone would swear and somebody would say "my virgin ears!" she always ALWAYS said..."What, your ears have never been fucked?" and now when I hear that, I have to fight to not say it too. =)
That was such a fabulous tribute. What an amazing gal pal! Why do such incredible people get taken and pud knockers like your Vice President get to live an extra 30 years? It really isn't fair.
ReplyDeleteI also wanted to say that this post revealed that there is nothing wrong with your 'heart'.
You developed this brilliant friendship because not only are you are open minded but obviously super fun to be with! Afterall people are either charming or tedious, right?
I was very surprised to hear about your condition...every man in my family exits via heart attack so I will not be surprised when I eventually get mine...I am attempting to delay this inevitability by finding my happy place, a couple of times a day if necessary!
You're a real Peach!
heh heh...heh heh...Homey said "pud-knocker"...heh heh...
ReplyDeleteIf I meet another person that's even half as great as Trish, I hope I recognize and celebrate it. She taught me so much about living through adversity.
Thanks for the kind words, Donn. I'm glad you visit my blog! Keep going to your happy place so the world can keep you around as long as possible. :)
hello shelly, i wasn't sure how i came to you through ces' blog, but i see he's comment here and i know i am among friends.
ReplyDeletethis post and your friendship with trish is incredibly moving. i have a best friend whose absence would leave a huge hole in my heart, and i've lost two good friends way too early. you have written a fine tribute to trish. you captured my full attention from the first sentence on.
i'll bet she's glad you wrote this...
:)
Kj: Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate the sentiment. :) You are indeed among friends.
ReplyDeleteIt takes a loss of one's own to understand the loss of another.
As they say...what kills us doesn't make us stronger! Or something like that. ;)
Well written, moving...nicely done.
ReplyDeleteSteve~
What a beautiful, moving story about someone who obviously moved you, Shelley.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the uniquely alive life of someone right through to their sad passing, and for bringing her to life again for us.
I really appreciate your depth and intelligence and compassion...and this post shows it.