Monday, August 15, 2005

I love you, hurt me.


Sluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurp. That is the sound, friends, of me getting sucked back into the online world of Everquest. I was talking about it a lot this weekend, and I realized I miss killing things in a massive multiplayer atmosphere. Now I wouldn't so much like to wield a gun and whack people like Half-Life...but man, give me a Noct Blade, a pet and some bad attitude, and I'm all over that shit. A friend said that he is going to make a server where we can all play again, without all the bullshit newbs crying for SOW or power guilds stealing poor Tuck's Cleric Epic parts. I wouldn't want to play alone though...a lot of the fun of the game is having other people to fuck with. LDON was like having your own server, because it was a private dungeon. Still and all you had to get a group together and that meant hanging out in the woods of Butcherblock or the desert of North Ro to find a bunch of strangers with whom you wanted to play and wouldn't get you killed through greed or stupidity. I guess that's what's nice about playing with our group from years back: we know who's greedy or stupid already, and they were weeded out years ago. ;-)
It's really great how I ended up completely changing my life because of EQ. I have no idea where I'd be now, but it sure wouldn't be Madison, so thank you Sony!! More than likely I'd be in the Twin Cities, doing the same thing I always did before "The Game," and not having much fun at it. I have a hard time remembering not ever having had a computer or playing EQ. It was just so much of my existence for so long. Perhaps it's not something one readily admits on a PUBLIC BLOG...but I was very much addicted to Everquest for years. I even played while I was on vacation in one of the most beautiful countries on Earth...and that's kind of sad. Still though...if I had never been suckered by Alex into playing a computer game, I would never have met John, Debra, Rob, Brian, Alec, Tuck, Mike, Carey, Stu, the Werdin, Darth Moll, Dory, Bill...The list goes on and on.

I have only good memories of EQ for the most part. There were times when my blood pressure skyrocketed and I was afraid for my cyber life (big snicker from the big geek), and when it was all done I laughed until I couldn't breathe. There were so many times when I couldn't even type because I was screaming with laughter over some stupid thing that was just way too fucking funny.
/shout: "Kibn is Camped."
/ooc: "What's a Kibn?"
/shout: "My Bitch, and he's camped, NOOB."
That was when Alex took his necro Bastet and her giant skellie pet Kibn out for a walk in Oasis. All of these noobs thought he was a mob and tried to jump him. They probably burned all their mana (this was the old days when that wasn't nerfed) trying to cast on the pet and died by some other mob cause they didn't have mana left. hahaha!

So I'm excited to log in again after so long and see how the girls are doing. Rasharra, of course, Shadowknight, Vulnero Templar extraordinaire; Vorzheva, Cleric, evil in every way but she'll heal your ass better than any assling could; Lalenie, Druid, probably still has KEI after 5 years; ...who else? Oh yes. Maldiva, Inky Necro (Inky=Dark Elf for the uninitiated few), I miss her a lot. We had so much fun first killing skellies, then Treants (bite me, stick boy!), then Rangers..MUAHAR! Yeah. I killed Rangers for fun and for profit. And don't forget faction. Well, negative faction. Pshaw! They wuz never gonna like me anyway!! =P

I forgot to mention Hydratante. I liked playing an Enchanter, mostly because it took real skill to multi-task and that's not to mention learning and unlearning those goddamn spells fifty million times per day. Mind Buff! No, Crowd Control! No, DeBuff the Mobs! Mind Buff! Rinse and repeat. Damn.

Oh and Nonni was fun. Gnome Mage, Nonni Yewbidness. Krueger picked the last name, and it was priceless. There was actually a gnome in the clockwork town (don't recall the name) who looked just like Nonni and was uh, named Nonni. BUT!! I didn't know that until after I'd made her and gotten levels and spells and it was all right anyhow. Didn't hurt anything.

I wonder what kind of life I'd have if I didn't know anyone that I know now. I don't have any friends that I had before EQ. My family, yes, and Eliza, but everyone else is very much directly related to my addiction to EQ. It got me to Madison. I may get teased for wearing my EQ shirt and having played an MMORPG for years, but the effect on my life can't be discounted and I'll always be grateful.

-betcha didn't think this would be about gaming. Muahar!! ;-)

1 comment:

  1. GEeeEEeeeEEeekKKK!!!

    Damn that post was filled with esoteric words I didn't understand. Still it's pretty cool that you're an addict. Usually FPS RPG addicts tend to be male, so when there's a female addict around, it's one of those "mint" "fetish" things that is always something special for all the "mint" "fetishists" out there.

    W0ot!

    ReplyDelete

You may choose to comment but if you're an asshole then I may choose to delete it.