And ones I'd add...
Mary Poppins
9 & 1/2 Weeks
Young Frankenstein
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Office Space
Starship Troopers
I can probably think of more - but there are just movies out there that have constant pop culture value and reference. They are *not* to be missed.
Better off Dead, Breakfast Club, A Christmas Story
ReplyDelete~Tawnykat
Bladerunner
ReplyDeleteThe Usual Suspects
The Devil In Miss Jones, Part 3
Blue Velvet (I mean, ick, and well actually I've never seen it, but for cinematic literacy...? The criterion is whether people refer to it, right?)
Thelma And Louise
Alien
High Noon
The Devil in Miss Jones Part 3?? WTF? =P
ReplyDeleteBut yeah all the rest except maybe High Noon are pretty much a given.
I can't BELIEVE I forgot Better off Dead. I just made reference to it the other day...
"...Franch Frieeeees..." and the person I was speaking with responded with: "..Franch Tooooast.."
It was brilliant. And ONLY if you'd seen Better off Dead. Thank you Debra!!
Beter off Dead is a freakin' riot....memorable quotes:
ReplyDelete"Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that!”
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.” [editor's note: a good thing to keep in mind while driving on slippery Madison streets, shelley!!]
and of course: "“My grandmother dropped acid, and she freaked out and hijacked a school bus full of... penguins!”
The hard part of making this list is not slipping into listing my favorite movies or movies I'd recommend.
ReplyDeleteI had Alien, High Noon, Bladerunner on originally and pulled them off because I really don't think you'd miss many pop culture references if you hadn't seen them. Horror and westerns don't seem to have many good lines or characters that you have to see the movie to know about. OK. Maybe Silence of the Lambs if that's horror.