So the BF is moving some of his things to the apartment in the never-ending quest to be my Cabana Boy. He found three bottles of a 1993 Navarra merlot called Vega Sindoa. From the Cigar Aficionado wine critic this received an 85. The full quote said: " Bright fruit and sweet oak give immediate appeal. Plump with plum and blackberry flavors. Balanced and firm."
I popped the cork and took a small drink to see if it would need to breathe. There was a very sharp tannic jump in that first sip, so I filled the glass and let it air for about 30 minutes before trying that again.
Mmmm! Something went right at this vineyard. The aroma of fruit just assaults the nose in a beautiful way before you even get it to your mouth. There's no bitterness, just sweet sweet blackberry for the most part. The other fruit comes out after it's been on the palate awhile. This is not a simple merlot... It's a damn good thing there are only three bottles because otherwise I'd need an intervention at some point, and I'm too old for AA.
Is there a better way to serve grapes?
ReplyDeleteAll you need is a doona, a copy of war and peace, and some dark chocolate and you have the perfect night in:)
Well let's see:
ReplyDeleteDoona - Check - although it's getting warm for that.
War and Peace - I'm in the US so I've got lots of war and little peace but I'm reading About a Boy so it's all good.
Dark Chocolate - Check!! ;) Mmmmmm!
I'm sorry but I am not much of a wine-person. I buy wine for others who can't handle the truth (rum or rye) according to how groovy the label is and it has to have the number 1 on it somewhere.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite wine of all time was the Magnum of Gimli Goose (yes it was a bubbly best on Tuesday blend about a 17 on the sweetness chart)that I would have purchased for my scrawny little Junior High Ass by someone who was atleast in High School for those special occasions (Bush Drinkin') when beer just wasn't the charisma enabler and IQ booster that I needed to cajole that special someone out of their tube top.
Red Red Wine,
Stay Close to MEEE!
Don't let me be in Love...
HEY,
You take that back!
Homey: So you're saying it was right up there with Night Train, wahoo!
ReplyDeleteOh the memories...or y'know, lack of them after drinking that swill.