So I got into it with a right-wing fucktard over at Dawn's site. I
should probably stop before I get banned for calling this idiot out.
====================================================================
I'm neither party (I would consider myself Progressive Liberal if
anything), but my beliefs towards the death penalty and why I'm
against it have less to do with the life/death aspect and more to do
with a prisoner's right to a fair trial.
Shelley | 08.08.06 - 4:00 pm | #
________________________________
Shelley, how is opposing ONE CHOICE out of the billions of choices
people made "Anti choice"? That's one of the most infuriating things
about abortion supporters. Abortion is not the only choice in the
world, it's just the one so many of us unite in opposing. And we don't
oppose it because it's a CHOICE. We oppose it because it's a choice to
KILL.
Do you call families of murder victims "anti-choice" because they are
so outraged by a choice the perp made?
Christina | Homepage | 08.08.06 - 4:01 pm | #
________________________________
Christina:
Just because a prisoner is guaranteed Constitutional rights does not
make his life worth more than his victim's. We don't live in a society
where we get angry so we take our criminals and beat them in the
streets.
Everyone is due a fair trial and punishment. When there is a breakdown
in the system, horrific things like what happened to your sister can
happen, and it's beyond terrible and sad.
That does not mean that we should suspend the rights of citizens. That
does not mean that because we follow the rule of law that we value one
life over another.
Justice is not revenge, and revenge is not justice.
Shelley | 08.08.06 - 4:04 pm | #
________________________________
Shelley, to allow somebody we know will remain a danger to continue
to draw breath is to value him more than we value his victims. To have
spared Ted Bundy's life would have been to say that his life was worth
more than the lives of those he'd kill when he escaped again. And with
him, it was a matter of when. He'd already escaped twice to kill
again.
If somebody CHOOSES to remain a danger to others, and we CHOOSE to let
them live, then we're also choosing death for the people we allow them
to kill. And we have no right to choose death for them. We have an
obligation to protect them.
Christina | Homepage | 08.08.06 - 4:05 pm | #
________________________________
Christina:
I choose logic over irrational arguments. That means believing in the
Constitutional rights of every citizen in this country, that were
bought and paid for in blood by the men and women who fought for us.
I'm not about to say their sacrifice means nothing so that revenge
will feel justified.
Shelley | 08.08.06 - 4:10 pm | #
________________________________
Shelley, failing to kill somebody who remains a danger even when
incarcerated is as irresponsible as to allow a tiger to run loose in
an elementary school. If you know that somebody will kill again if
given the chance, you owe it to society NOT to give him the chance.
Why is it that the more heinous a person's behavior, the more
compassion the Left musters for him? Where is the compassion for the
Chi Omega sisters, and for Kimberly Leach? For their families and
friends who were devastated? Why is Ted Bundy's life more valuable
than the lives of those girls?
Christina | Homepage | 08.08.06 - 4:11 pm | #
________________________________
Shelley, Ted Bundy escaped TWICE to murder again. As long as he drew
breath, he was a risk. Other murders continue to kill while in prison.
Why are the lives of the most violent among us worth so much more than
the lives of their victims?
Christina | Homepage | 08.08.06 - 4:12 pm | #
________________________________
Christina:
How is it that you believe that it is okay to deprive any citizen of
his or her rights because you disagree with his or her actions?
The Bill of Rights exists whether you like it or not.
Shelley | 08.08.06 - 4:16 pm | #
________________________________
Shelley, you don't seem to grasp that some people remain a danger,
even if incarcerated. Why should the placid inmate have his life
placed in danger? Why is the life of the man who chooses to remain
violent of greater value than the lives of the men who try to live
productive lives behind bars?
Some people CHOOSE to remain dangerous. Why should we value their
lives more than the lives of those they would victimize?
Christina | Homepage | 08.08.06 - 4:16 pm | #
________________________________
Christina:
Again beside the point. I have already answered you in previous posts.
Does the Bible not say "Thou Shalt Not Kill?"
That means anyone, according to Christian beliefs. I hold everyone to
their own standard.
Shelley | 08.08.06 - 4:19 pm | #
I have decided that in the event that some evil crackhead piece of shit ever murdered anyone in my familia that I would simply take him out myself and do the year and a half (time served during trail) under house arrest.
ReplyDeleteActually under our current system if you just happened to accidentally kill the perp while driving drunk you will not have to do any time. Good to know.
I admit that this is my achilles heel in an otherwise decidedly liberal worldview. This of course does not address the huge disparity in the current legal system. I am mortified by all of the falsely sentenced poor people sitting on death row. The system does not seem to work unless you are rich and white. Maybe someday....
H.E. - hey sure! I would not argue with you there, even if I would not make the same decision. You doing away with that person is very different from state-sanctioned killing.
ReplyDeleteIt's all those falsely-accused poor people who make me think twice, and three times about the death penalty.
I hear ya sister!
ReplyDelete