Tuesday, May 22, 2007

#429 - Untitled

For the love of CHRIST. How annoying can one job be? I think I'm probably just tired from getting to bed late last night, but blech! I'm also having quite a bad hair day, and I have to work late, which means I'll get to bed late once again. With bad hair.

Within a half hour of each other two of my staff informed me that they just don't feel like working weekends until Summer is over. Hm. Well, considering that our clients don't stop needing to eat, drink, and piss because it's the weekend that sort of makes things difficult for me. I'm not going to try to have a new staff person begin work only to take the hours away again once the prior staff feel like it. WTF? Whatever supervisor they had before, I'm so not that person. I may just take the hours away altogether because I'm tired of all the switches. It doesn't help me to be pissy with my staff but goddamn. I used to work direct-care too, and I was never this big a pain in the ass. I kept a very precise calendar even though I was jumping around to multiple households on a daily basis, 24 hours a day. I had to - but it sure was appreciated back then.

Now it's all about staff asking me to bend over inside outside forward backward and every which way. Yeah, they work the direct care hours. For this the company rewards them with what we like to call a paycheck. I know, I know, it's crazy, but that's what we do. Also, I appreciate their work. I tell them this. Apparently it's not enough that we pay them and appreciate them. I somehow think they want us (me) to bow down and kiss their feet. Why? I did the same fucking job for 12 years, I never felt like a fucking saint on a stick.

What I've never understood since coming to the midwest is this feeling of entitlement that people have!! I really hope I never start feeling like I deserve everything. Nobody owes me dick. Well, one person but he sorta gets happy about that so I don't argue. My point is that I don't feel like the world owes me a free meal. I work for a living and pay my own bills. I don't complain that I shouldn't have to work because I'm so much better than somebody else, or because the work is below me. I was the one who went to a client's house and administered (and was sprayed by) a fleet enema. So nobody can tell me I'm above any fucking work.

I still remember scraping by on three jobs in San Diego, and waiting months for one opening at an ice cream scoop shop that paid minimum wage, so that I could at least have a pleasant work environment instead of a biker dive tending bar. And these people up here who have been raised to think they deserve to have anything they want just because they're special, and I'm the one who has to deal with it and not tell them to take a flying fuck because who else is going to work when everyone thinks the job is beneath them too? It's a fucking waste of my time and energy to stroke their egos when I spent too many years just doing my job, doing it well, and not acting like I wanted a medal for it.

7 comments:

  1. Is it OK if I take a few days off from leaving comments? I have worked quite hard so far, and think that I deserve to enjoy the summer evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicus if it's a beating you require, it can be arranged. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. Personal responcibility, and accepting the world does not owe you a thing.

    I have people complaining that it my companies fault they are in debt, yet they bought the TV, or the new car, or the plethora of useless crap we aquire in life. If anything we owe the world, we have been given a life, and part of the genetic lotery we are born into a part of the world where we have a fighting chance. BE GRATEFUL!!

    i feel better now:)

    Any hoo: Welcome to the world of hard core existentialism i hope you enjoy the stay:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelley, I was going to ask you if you were born in Wisconsin or vicinity. As a native Floridian, I couldn't imagine anybody living in that cold unless nature had dumped her there. Now you say you went there from somewhere else? (Will you tell us from where?) Voluntarily? Or was it some judge trying to be creative in imposing your criminal sentence? I didn't know the U.S. courts used "exile".

    My father used to say that I thought the world owed me a living. I did think that, but the world didn't agree. Still, you tend to get what you expect, unless you work for Shelly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huzzah for the Culture of Narcissism. Everybody thinks that they are a glamorous SUPERSTAR on the verge of being discovered..
    anyday now...
    just wait I'll be famous...
    and then you can say that you knew me...
    aren't you lucky...
    damn why is it taking so long for the world to notice me?

    Go ahead make your day..
    open up a can of whoopass on them..and make it medieval!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aidan: Something that I refer to as "common sense." Honestly I have no idea how an entire region of people got to be so fucking spoiled.

    Fleming: It's true - usually we get what we ask for unless there's a reality check involved somehow. I like to think of things like that as "natural consequences," something I explain to my staff when a client refuses our help, or makes choices we would not. It's tough to watch someone else do that, but in the end, and something I wish all people would get, is that when a person is an adult, disabled or not, their decisions are their own and you must let them make them. In the case of my staff I have to walk the tightrope between being their reality check and their counselor on better decisions, so that I can retain workers.
    I started out in San Diego, and lived in Texas as well as Minnesota, and now Wisconsin. I wasn't an army brat, but my mother did like to stay ahead of the law.
    I actually like living in Wisconsin. Madison's got more bikes than cars, and really awesome trails and things to do. If the county does not cut funding and lose me my job then I'll be here a while longer.

    Florida? Why??? Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Homey: Yes, I know. I keep waiting for you to get famous. What the hell is the major malfunction there, as my grandmother used to say in that southern twang she acquired from growing up in..um...Michigan? Hm... I guess I won't figure that one out.

    But seriously. This serious rash of Narcissism going around along with Entitlement and Selfishness really has me cheesed off. But, as someone told me once: It's better to be cheesed off than cheesed on. I think they went to a Packers game.

    I will keep on trying to keep up with my staff without killing them. Usually I can do okay - but people only respond to guilt trips most times, and that's just not my style. Blunt honesty is what I use most of the time and after they're pissed off at me we come to some kind of understanding until the next time. =)

    ReplyDelete

You may choose to comment but if you're an asshole then I may choose to delete it.