Tuesday, August 01, 2006

so damn depressing!

Lately I feel like a character in A Handmaid's Tale. There are so many attacks against the rights of women these days. I know that in the past it was a lot worse, but not in my life time! When I was born in 73 ~ Roe v. Wade had already been established. We had access to birth control, free clinic exams (which I took advantage of while a teen), and reproductive care was assured. By that I mean that nobody but my doctor or nurse was going to have any say about my choices in that care. I had an abortion in 1995 and it was paid for by the State of California. I had cancer on my cervix and got free treatment at a clinic in Barrio Logan in San Diego, and continued care as long as I wanted. I actually got turned away from Planned Parenthood for a depo-provera shot because of my history of depression, and then was able to get it at my regular clinic instead. I didn't hold that against Planned Parenthood, because I had other options! These days everyone and their brother has decided that they know what's best for women, and won't hesitate to do or say anything they want to that end. Pharmacists are refusing to fill prescriptions, doctors are refusing to perform procedures, ambulance drivers are refusing to transport patients, and nurses are even refusing to administer comfort meds to cancer ward patients. This is all in the name of Christ, by the way. I am so angry with all these fucking do-gooders who just want to meddle in other people's lives, unasked and unwanted. Who the fuck died and made them God? Why the fuck haven't these assholes gotten the smackdown by the medical community at least, for a start? The ambulance driver was fired, and then she sued for religious discrimination. Well, what the fuck? What about the woman who desperately needed a ride to the fucking hospital as she was hemorraging from a miscarriage? Grrrrr.
The doctor who refused to give a lesbian a physical exam necessary for her adoption procedure wasn't even given a slap on the wrist.

Someone has assured me that these evil fuckers are on the wrong side of things and on the way out. I will believe it when I see it.

--
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

2 comments:

  1. A very personal post full of passion. I am also astounded how the Fundies are trying to clawback women's rights. Isn't it 2006?

    These are extremely personal matters that should be between a woman and her physician...
    everybody else..butt out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, H.E. - it is 2006, only a few years since that fuckhead Bush got into office and look at the damage done.

    Well, to be truthful it's really hard to miss the evidence of damage done. I'm just sad that, like the song he never died from his drug abuse before he was allowed to inflict his incompetence on the rest of us.

    :::air smoochies, H.E.:::

    ReplyDelete

You may choose to comment but if you're an asshole then I may choose to delete it.