There was one fucking thing I really needed to blog about today but for the life of me I cannot recall what the fuck it was. Maybe swearing? Huh.
I am pretty disturbed by my brother's wedding. It's set for the same weekend as another friend is tying the knot so I can't go anyway - but the whole family thing disturbs me. I'm being crushed under the expectation from my father that I will go the four hours' drive and spend all day and night outside in the Minnesota heat with mosquitoes and people I don't like all to keep the peace.
Right.
I've had this discussion with the boyfriend because he knows how forceful my dad can be and he is worried about my well-being if I'm forced to endure a family function. I have had serious issues with family members for years, and cut off all contact with just about everyone a long time ago. Right now I see my Dad (plus step-mom, sister) in San Diego about once a year, and besides that I go onto the family website and talk to a couple of aunties and a cousin. We don't see each other and haven't for years. I'm okay with that.
I don't speak to the rest of my immediate family. My mother's been dead for years. My sisters who live up north in Minnesota are pretty much dead to me already. My brother may as well be too, except for this wedding thing and he's on the family site once in a while.
Last year one of sisters was diagnosed with a nasty cancer and I was contacted by the oldest one so that I could "fix" everything for them like I always had done. I made the mistake of feeling like I was obligated to go up there and visit. I took the BF and went up to the woods of Hickville, Minnesota and boy what a bad move on my part. I was a total depressed mess for months. I couldn't work effectively or deal with anything in my life. I was blowing off everything and everyone because I was such a mess. I could easily say my sister had cancer so it would explain why I was a mess but that was a lie while still being true. I also could have said that I had been in the hospital around the same time my sister had been, plus been diagnosed with UC and on a lot of medications that also messed me up. True, but still I considered it an excuse.
The truth was and is still that my family is dysfunctional and I hate my brother and sisters and don't want to see any of them as long as I live. I have very good reasons for hating them and I may go into it one day.
That I hate them is one thing. That my father, who I do not hate, wants me to spend time with them in order to spend time with him, because he's going to the wedding, is another thing entirely. He wants for the family to get together and go up to the goddamned Reservation and talk about how poor we all were and look at the tar paper shacks that have no electricity or running water. As a kid I wasn't impressed with extreme poverty, and I'm not now either. I don't want to act like the devoted little sister I used to be. I don't want to have to pretend that I don't want to stick a fucking crowbar into my brother's head. I want to be free of the whole mess. I mean, my father left the fucking Rez and went thousands of miles away to California for a REASON. And I don't mean Vietnam. Once he got back he left permanently and could only be bothered to come back when my brother was on the lam after killing someone and we were all in the newspapers and being followed by the FBI for over a month.
He also came back for my wedding - and said my sister's name when he was standing up for me. Thanks a whole fucking lot, Dad. Don't worry, my mother said the wrong name too. It's not like anyone was going to give me any respect, like ever, even on my fucking wedding day.
Yeah. So what I don't need is to spend any time with my family that doesn't involve me flying to the safety and cleanliness of California, renting a car, and being on my own terms.
Know what, I can sooo identify with all of this. Dad got remarried and f'd off on me, I was close to him. My mum and my brtohers and sister were the same at my wedding too, wrong names all the rest of it.
ReplyDeleteThe old saying I live by, "Your friends are your family" is so true.
Tell your dad you wo't go because they all make you uncomfortable. That you love him but it is no reason to go along with him to this event. Just try.
Seriously, they got your name wrong at your own wedding too? WTF is wrong with people?? Ugh!!
ReplyDeleteWe do choose our family - our Tribe as we call it here. They're a fuck of a lot more important than those we share blood with.
Shelley you really whacked me across the side of the head with this one
ReplyDeleteThe old world notion of blind unwavering loyalty to your kinfolk is complete and utter bullsh*t!
It is as desperate as the idea that you must serve your pope even if it means being an executioner for the Inquisition.
First of all I think that you are marvelous. How is it that people like yourself, who are so forthright and honest, make it out from under such dysfunction? Dare I call it a miracle.
Stick to your guns kid. You have worked very hard to overcome the enabler guilt and you do need to take care of yourself. Other people, especially family, will always be there to take and sap your strength. I hate it when they play up the betrayal card..oh blood is thicker than water BS..it is not!
We gravitate in this world towards others who compliment us and very few people escape the clutches of the family guilt trap. Forget wading in the shallow end of the gene pool all of the action is in the deep end. Race you there...
Donn you brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for the insight and appreciation of my inner spewings.
ReplyDeleteYou were dead on with the comparison of the "unwaving loyalty to your kinfolk" being similar to Pope on a rope devotion. It's taught so young along with religion, that we have to love and support our families even when they are full of SHIT and dysfunctional and abusive. It took years for me to get free of that, and then I've gone back for more?
Bah.
I'm not sure how I made it out in the first place, except that after two years of therapy after a Really Bad Relationship I just changed my views on a bit of everything. I realized through multiple bad experiences that I had the power to just say no...but the downfall there is that I occasionally feel strong enough to put myself back, and it ends badly.
I love how you put that about the shallow end of the gene pool. Totally race you!! ;)
Wow... I had no idea of your your life, my respect for you has grown a hundred fold, thank you for showing that side that takes a hell of a lot of guts.
ReplyDeleteMy advice is to stick to your guns, be yourself, the only person you need to answer to is yourself, if you can look your self in the eye in the mirror, you have done the right thing...
Take care out there and thank you once again.
Aidan
Stand strong chickie. Family - can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em!
ReplyDelete