I went to visit my cardiologist this morning so he could tell me what the heck is going on with my heart. They've already done multiple tests. They checked my pacemaker/defibrillator this morning as well, and found out that I've been having strange episodes recorded. Six times in the past 2 weeks (since the last check) I have had ultra-rapid heartbeats (around 165-180) for brief periods. It's strange because I usually will feel really icky and tired before they hit.
My blood pressure will drop sometimes, and the heart clinic folks haven't been able to tell me much beyond "stay hydrated."
Dr. Vorperian has decided that the trouble is in the upper chambers of my heart, which is causing the lower chamber to malfunction. It doesn't fill with blood all the way and can't complete the proper pumping movement, which is what causes my blood pressure to drop so dangerously.
His answer would like to be beta-blockers, since I already have an implanted device. In case what happened with my mom and aunt jackie happens with me, then the machine would keep me around, and they can look at alternative treatments.
However- he is being very thorough, and would like to record some of this weird upper chamber action, so I've got a monitor to take self-recordings of EKG's. I then phone them in to a call center in Florida (horror!) whose people interpret the EKG and transmit the readings to the cardiology clinic here in Wisconsin. Dr. Vorperian will look at those events (hopefully I capture some when they happen) and decide about the beta-blockers one month from now.
The only real danger in low blood pressure is the possibility of Stroke or heart failure, and as long as I keep really hydrated and stay rested I should be allright in that department.
No comments:
Post a Comment
You may choose to comment but if you're an asshole then I may choose to delete it.